Formula EM-5 is a versatile tool in your garden and is typically home made. We realized that most gardeners needed Formula EM-5 when it was already too late for them to start brewing it all up and fermenting it. After we realized this we set out to create a product that would only include the very best ingredients and be shelf stable. Below we provide the recipe to make your own for free but have found that most people prefer to purchase our Pre-Made and Shelf stable version instead.
The formula for one gallon of EM5 is as follows (1:1:1:1:20):
- 3/4 C EM1
- 3/4 C Molasses
- 3/4 C Vinegar (white or apple cider)
- 3/4 C distilled alcohol (vodka, whiskey, tequila)
- Add some other plant material (fresh hot peppers or garlic...or fresh herbs that have known pesticide properties like mint leaves, lavender, eucalyptus, mella luca, neem, etc.)
- Fill the gallon container with warm water (110-120ºF)
- Seal and ferment until pH goes below 4.0
Spray EM5 alternately with EM1 or Fermented Plant Extract through a hose-end sprayer.
Often people will set up an informal program as follows (Diluting the AEM1, EM5, or EM FPE with 500 parts water):
Week One: Apply AEM1, 1 gallon for 1/2 acre property
Week Two: Apply EM5, 1 gallon for 1/2 acre property
Week Three: Apply EM FPE, 1 gallon for 1/2 acre property
Week Four: Apply AEM1, 1 gallon for 1/2 acre property
This pattern is repeated throughout the growing season.
Use 1 ounce per gallon for normal foliar spray use in container gardens.
Use up to 8 ounces per gallon for problems such as the growth of algae, odor-causing bacteria, and mold stains.
Use as general house hold cleaner for any purpose.